Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation, and international development seeks qualified individuals to fulfill the position of Renewable Energy Planning Assistant for the USAID Clean Power Asia program.
The purpose of USAID Clean Power Asia is to accelerate the regional transition to a high performing, low carbon power sector. The program assists the governments of the Lower Mekong and other developing countries in Asia in energy planning and helps establish an effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously mobilizing public- and private-sector investment in renewable energy (RE) development. USAID Clean Power Asia is focused on solar, wind, small hydro (<15 MW), and biomass from agricultural residues. The program focuses on the Lower Mekong including Lao PDR, Thailand, and Vietnam, and also includes activities on a regional level in support of RE development among ASEAN member states.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Work in close coordination with the project team, supporting Task 1 focused on high RE scenario planning, under the direct supervision and guidance of the RE Planning Specialist and the Chief of Party (COP) on the following tasks:
- Ensuring the sustainability of data useful for RE planning and policy through capacity building of data curators in Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand, and potentially Vietnam.
- Promoting regional knowledge-sharing to advance consideration of renewable energy, especially variable renewable energy, in power sector plans.
- Promoting the use of tools, models, and data in RE planning and analysis.
- Supporting capacity building programs, trainings, workshops, meetings, and other related events to build capacity on RE planning, planning tools, and data.
- Supporting the development and updating of RE targets and incorporating RE targets into power development plans.
- Developing or reviewing agendas, participant lists, and draft invitation letters for workshops focused on RE planning.
- Assisting the Task 1 staff in developing and nurturing relationships with other donors, government counterparts, and others in the region who share the program’s goals.
- Supporting the Task 1 team in monitoring progress indicators, and reviewing and commenting on sub-task deliverables.
- Conducting analysis and further scoping of Task 1 interventions included in the approved work plan, as well as proposing new interventions for the next year’s work plan to support power sector planning to promote grid-connected renewable energy in the region. Planning may include development of RE targets and updated approaches and analysis for integrating RE targets into the power development plans and planning process.
- Other duties to be determined in conjunction with the COP and RE Planning Specialist.